The Society has two facilities, the Appomattox Historical Society Museum and Library housed in the Old Appomattox Jail and Clover Hill Village.  (Click here for 2017 Hours of Operation) Appomattox County Historical Society Museum and Library The Museum has been in constant operation under the management of the Society since the early 1980's.  It is housed in the “third” Appomattox County Jail building that was built in 1895 and in use until May 1981 when a new courthouse and jail complex opened.  The museum is located in courthouse square at 337 Court Street in the town of Appomattox. A new addition to our museum building in 2016 was a genealogy and local history library that focuses on the people of Appomattox County and every aspect of their lives. The museum and library is number 20 on the map at right.  The full Appomattox attractions map can be downloaded as a .pdf file (click here). Download an article on the history of Appomattox County jails (click here). (click on map to enlarge) Clover Hill Village Clover Hill Village is a six acre living history village that was created by the Appomattox County Historical Society over a period of years beginning in 1991.  Some of the buildings are local historic buildings that were moved from their original locations and reconstructed on the site.  Other buildings are reproductions of actual buildings or representations of buildings for the period.  Clover Hill Village is located at 5747 River Ridge Road, Appomattox, VA  24522, a mile off of Highway 24, approximately three miles east of U.S. 460 and the town of Appomattox. Clover Hill Village is number 3 on the map at right.  The full Appomattox attractions map can be downloaded as a .pdf file (click here). (click on map to enlarge) Vermillion General Store The General Store and Post Office are typical of many small village stores that provided essential services to the community during the period.  Some of these stores also provided a local Post Office, usually run by the shopkeeper. A typical general store would receive its merchandise in bulk.  A great many articles were sold by the quart, peck or bushel.  Soda crackers came in large wooden boxes with hinged tops and had to be handled by hand and weighed.  Bacon came in 300 pound boxes buried in salt and had to be cut up in pieces and sold by weight.  In many villages, a peddler wagon would be sent around once a week selling meat, vegetables and other items to surrounding homes. Stores such as these often became the social center of the village.  Our store building is a reproduction built from a picture of the Vermillion store in Appomattox that no longer exists. Poor House Farm Cabin Dating back to the 1800's, this poor house cabin typifies housing available on the county farm for the homeless or needy of the era.  Often farm work could be traded for housing in the poor house cabin. Martin/Grady Family Log Cabin This cabin dates back to around 1830 and was reconstructed at Clover Hill Village in 1994.  The cabin contains a wealth of period furniture (much of it original to the cabin), memorabilia and furnishings for an authentic feel of life as it was then.  This well worn cabin bespeaks the lives of those who called it home.  Twelve children were born here.  The large downstairs room is dominated by the stone fireplace.  The upstairs loft is a fully furnished bedroom. Civil War Winter Quarters This building is a typical example of the Confederate enlisted winter quarters.  Many soldiers were grateful to have such buildings to shelter them from the brutal winters. Wesley Chapel One of the oldest churches in the county, Wesley Chapel was built in 1828 and remained in use until 1939.  It was moved to Clover Hill Village in April 1991.  The chapel has original pews, podium, communion rail and oil burning chandeliers.  It also has a working pump organ.  The chapel can be rented by the public for weddings or other special functions. The Privy An original, functional outhouse that came with the Wesley Chapel when it was moved to its current location at Clover Hill Village. The Hardy School This school house dates back to the early 1900's and is believed to be the first school built in Appomattox County with government funding.  Prior schools were usually privately built or located in privately owned buildings.  Nearly 300 hours were spent by volunteer members of the Appomattox Historical Society in dismantling the school at its original site near Hixburg.  Bricks, stone, siding, framing and interior wainscoting were carefully saved and moved to Clover Hill Village in the fall of 1998.  Now restored to its original condition, this turn-of-the-century one room school exemplifies the simplicity of early education. The Dixon Memorial Farm Equipment Display This collection of antique farm equipment is on loan from the estate of the late Harry Dixon of Cullen, Virginia.  The collection includes a rear steam tractor as well as horse drawn baling and mowing machines.  There is also a nice collection of various hand tools and numerous other items of interest.  The Society wishes to acknowledge the loan with sincere thankfulness to the Dixon family. Hamilton's Blacksmith Shop This shop was used from the early 1900's to the mid 1920's at its original location behind Hamilton's store in Evergreen.  It was relocated to Clover Hill Village in 1994.  The shop is well equipped and is used to demonstrate metalworking by Historical Society members and visiting blacksmiths. The Pole Barn This is an example of typical farm shed construction of the period.  Built in 1995, the barn is currently being used to house a variety of wagons, farm machinery and hand tools. Printer friendly version of the Clover Hill Village Information above
Appomattox County Historical Society Home Events Facilities Research Membership Contact Us Facilities